COLLEGE LIFE PART II

This post is very cold-hard facts oriented, so it may not sound the most positive. Part III will be much more fun and exciting, I promise!

Friends and People:
Laynie and Kristin are my home team. For the first week or so, it was just us. When you're alone you kind of have to branch out, but with the three of us, the pressure isn't there so much. Even though we were totally open to meeting new people and being friendly, I don't think our little group was very approachable. Having solid core friends is awesome, though. I dig that.

You meet a multitude of personalities, both pleasant and not so pleasant. Have you ever wanted to slap someone really badly? That urge hit Kristin and me in chapel this week when a group of guys wouldn't stop talking throughout the majority of Dr. Klem's message. You pay some heavy cash to attend this fine Christian institution, yet you don't have the respect and decency to shut your trap to listen to God's Word for forty minutes!? I don't know why I expected everyone to be mature, but I've been sorely disappointed by some of the individuals I've encountered. Yes, guys will still blast their music unnecessarily loud from their fancy car and drive around campus an excessive number of times. BUT the vast majority of people I've met so far have been amazingly kind and friendly, so I'm fairly certain a few bad eggs haven't poisoned the entire campus :). I haven't had any bullies, mean girls, or jerks personally offend me, so no need to worry about enemies thus far! I absolutely love my unit, so I feel very fortunate. We seem to be on the same page for many topics that could make living together very awkward, so it's a huge relief to be able to be open and not be afraid that someone is silently judging you in your own residence.

Living  Conditions:
I explained this quiet often when I was back home, but I'll just remind everyone who's curious. The girls' dorms are made up of units. Each unit has four rooms connected to one main living room area. Two girls live in each room. Additionally, a bathroom with two stalls, two (newly renovated) showers, and three sinks is joined to this main room. 

The food... oh, the food. It's not good. If you have no qualms about where your food comes from (even fruit, in my case, just because I'm picky), it's not so bad; however, if you're a grass-fed, cage-free organic type, this place is torture. I would be all over Nature's Food Patch every meal, if budget allowed it (me + strawberry kombucha + gourmet cheese press = happiness for the rest of my life). I will admit that I thoroughly enjoy drinking carbonated water with lemon for every meal, and the coconut ranger cookies are incredible, so it's not all bad.

If I cook for myself, I typically have to trek it up to the lounge. Only hotpots and coffee makers are allowed in the dorm, so if I'm craving anything more than tea or soup, a large haul of supplies is in order. After lugging my griddle, food, utensils, and dishwashing tools to the second floor, I normally make a mini feast to make the trip worth it. The other day I went all out with scrambled eggs, an egg sandwich, and almond butter/cinnamon/honey toast--sooo good. Popcorn is an amazing option, too. Don't be afraid to get thrifty when you're on your own.


^ My dorm room! Shoutout to Niki for letting me borrow the lights. They really do make all the difference in our room!


^ My desk! It hasn't looked this pristine since I took this picture.


^ When in Florida, do as the Floridians do.


^ I do not regret buying these slippers at all. We aren't pigs, but I'd rather have something on my feet than not, knowwhatImean?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ms. Mistor. All rights reserved. © Adorable Design.